Friday, February 3, 2012

Get Your Dancing Shoes On!


It's so easy to get caught up in the moment and get angry: I do it all the time with work, my schedule, money, all that stuff nobody really likes to deal with but we can't avoid it entirely. When we are not in these moments of frustration, it's so convenient to tell yourself to shake them off as they come to you, they don't matter in the big picture, you'll forget about it all tomorrow, and blah blah blah... Well when whatever happens happens, all that crap goes out the window and you start grinding your teeth and you stumble over your words as you helplessly try to offer an explanation for why things are the way they are.

I have a solution. Turn on some music ladies and gents, and let your toes start tappin.

I encountered an issue today that just bothered me so because I could not figure out why it was happening. It was just another episode in a series of frustrations on a certain topic and as I usually do, I stewed about it for a while. I questioned what the reason was, why it was all happening, how could things continue to down this path, etc... And I promise you, I figured nothing out. Instead, I popped in my ear buds, turned on one of my favorite albums to dance to( Cross by Justice) and started dancing. 

I am much more of an animated dancer than most, and typically don't care about my setting, as I pop my chest, rock side to side, and add my own sound-effects. I'm not easy to control once I get some tunes going, but what was amazing was how quickly my frustration dissipated. I still do not know why the situation got to where it did, but frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn... BECAUSE I JUST WANT TO JAM! WOO!!!

No seriously, it's amazing how happy music can make me. I don't know if this works for everyone, but it's a true from of therapy for me. Maybe because of how kinetic it makes me I shake off the frustration or grind it down to a powder light enough to be swept off my by the ventilation system. Whatever the reason is, it doesn't really matter, except that it works. 

So next time you find yourself kneading your forehead in your hands, turn on some music and do it to a rhythm. You will find yourself with a really comic dance move and a brighter view on life for the moment. 

I don't promise results, but I promise it works for me. And we are more or less the same, so the odds are in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment